Paint Workshop FAQ's
Do I need to be artistic to do this?
- I truly believe that everyone is artistic in their own way. I guarantee that you'll love the design and the quality of the sign. Anyone can paint a sign and leave with a beautiful sign to be proud of. I will be there as your hands-on teacher helping you throughout the process as little or as much as you want.
Do I have to design my sign?
- No, you don't. At my current price point, you can pick a design from my available options, or for an additional fee you can submit your own ideas and I'll make up your design. I will send you a proof via email and we will work on making your design into something you'll love!
How much are your workshops and what do the fees cover?
- The minimum cost for a seat at any workshop is $65. As the size of the sign increases, so does the cost of the workshop. The fee includes everything which you need to paint a sign. I supply the wood, stencil(s), paint, brushes, sandpaper, painters tape, hanging hardware, apron(s), etc. All you have to bring is yourself and the enthusiasm to paint a sign. :) Aprons are provided although I don't recommend wearing your best clothing.
Can I book a private class?
- Yes, definitely! If you want to book Christmas workshop parties or other private workshops, send me an email. I will get in touch with you to finalize your selected date and time. Then you'll email me a list of the names and email addresses of all the participants. From there, I'll get everyone started with selecting their sign sizes and designs. If you are a single participant or want to join an open workshop check my current workshops or send me an email. If you prefer to drop by my retail location to book a workshop, that's fine.
What is the maximum number of people you can have in a class.
- Right now my space is limited which only allows me to have between 2-4 people. Smaller workshops are my preference since I'll be able to be more hands-on with each participant. If you are looking into having a larger party, please drop by my retail location or send me an email.
How long does a workshop take?
- You should plan on your workshop taking around 2 hours. This depends on how complex your designs are, how many people are in the class, if everyone arrives on time, how many different colors you pick for your sign, etc.
What times do you offer for workshops?
- Friday @ 7:00 pm
- Saturday @ 1:30pm
What is the process?
- After you purchase your seat in a workshop, I will contact you regarding what size of sign and the design.
- For a framed sign I will cut your sign, sand it, and attach the stained frame.
- For an unframed sign, I will cut your sign and sand it.
- I use the vinyl stencil process in my sign workshops. After you have picked your design, I cut the design out of stencil vinyl. I will weed your stencil for you. You will paint or stain your background. Give it a slight sanding once it's dry and then transfer the vinyl to your board, pick your paint color(s) and paint the stencil, then remove the stencil to reveal your sign. The final step will be to seal your sign.
Is there a minimum age for children to do a sign?
- There's really no age limit. I don't recommend bringing a child unless they will be painting a sign as there are no babysitting services provided. It can take a child a bit longer to work through some of the processes in order to complete their sign. Children 8 and older usually do fairly well on their own.
Can we bring snacks and or drinks?
- Complimentary drinks and snacks will be provided. These will vary with each season. If you have food allergies, you are welcome to bring non-alcoholic beverages and snacks to your workshop.
Netties Expressions workshops are in a smoke free environment.
Picking Your Design and Size of Sign
What parameters do I need to stay within?
- It depends on the size of the sign you choose. The smaller or more detailed your design is, the longer and more tedious your work will be. I can usually fit pretty much anything. To get a better idea, take a look at my finished signs.
My proof is black and white. Is that the color of my sign?
- No. You'll choose the colors for your sign during the workshop. The proof is just for the layout and design purpose. Once you receive your proof. let me know if you like it or if you'd like to make some changes. I want you to be happy with your final design.
Can I make a bigger sign?
- Yes, you gladly can! Just let me know what size you want to create and I quote you a custom price.
Do you have smaller sizes?
- Yes, I do. However, the workshop price does stay the same at $65 and up.
What colors of paint do you have?
- I carry The FAT Paint Company paint line as well as a few Minwax stains at my workshops. You can always check out my paint samples when you drop by my retail location.
To read more detailed information regarding my Large Framed Wooden Sign Workshop, click HERE